Tuesday, October 13, 2009

5 things EVERY saddle bag should have...

If you don't have a saddle bag, one like this is perfect. I love my Specialized bag.
  • 1 spare tube (2 if your really unlucky).
  • 1 or 2 CO2 cartridges. I like to carry CO2 instead of a pump; pumps just get in the way. If your cheap like me, you'll buy your CO2 at a sporting goods store instead of a bike shop.
  • A CO2 head like this one. Make sure if you have a threaded head, buy threaded CO2 cartridges.
  • 1 or 2 tire levers. These are my favorite, for the obvious reason.
  • Spare change. You never know when you'll bonk; having a couple dollars will come in handy when you need that King Size Snickers bar! Also, if your tire punctures, put a one dollar bill between the tube and tire (keeps the tube from coming through the tire).
Other things to consider for the jersey pocket:
  • Energy. This should be a given, but never go on a long ride without proper nutrition. I like Luna Bars because they taste good and I can actually get them down while riding, unlike Power Bars, etc. Hammer Gel is great for races because it's quick, easy, and painless.
  • Mace Spray. My boyfriend keeps bugging me about carrying Mace in my jersey pocket, and he's probably right. For women that ride paved and dirt trails a lone, it may not be a bad idea to carry a little bottle of Mace.
  • Cell Phone. Duh
  • Identification. With all the bike/car accidents that have happened around here lately, more people are carrying some form of I.D. God forbid it did happen to you, your family can be contacted much sooner if you are carrying identification.

4 comments:

  1. Remind me not to piss you off on the rides now that I know you've got mace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Solid stuff. Looking forward to future posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Followup on the ID card thought. I always have an ID, a credit card, and my insurance card with me. Obviously my training rides/races are a little different than what you typically do due to length and location.

    ReplyDelete